Promoting First Relationships (PFR) is the result of the work of Dr Jean Kelly (Founding Director), who first became interested in the work of John Bowlby and attachment theory in her research area of the parent-child relationship. Based with the University of Washington’s Parent-Child Relationship Programs at the Barnard Centre, the PFR is designed to support parents to experience joy and confidence in their relationships with their young children, ages birth to 5 years.
- Building a healthy and secure relationship with your child.
- Understanding your child’s difficult behaviours and looking at the feelings and needs behind this behaviour.
- Understanding how to support your child’s social and emotional health.
- Discussing strategies for coping with difficult times as a parent.
- Understanding ways you can help your child through emotionally difficult experiences.